Wisconsin Geological Society
Welcome to the official website of The Wisconsin Geological
Society, Inc. (WGS), founded in 1936. The Wisconsin Geological Society,
Inc. (WGS) offers a variety of ways to increase understanding of our
planet. The purpose of WGS is to create an interest in the study of
geology; to provide the means for the development of knowledge in
geology; and to disseminate information concerning all phases of
The Wisconsin Geological Society, Inc (WGS) is a member of the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Studies (MWF) which is a part of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AFMS)
Wisconsin State Fossil:
The Wisconsin Geological Society proposed a state fossil in 1985 to encourage interest in our geological heritage. The trilobite (pronounced "TRY-low-bite") is an extinct marine arthropod that was common in the warm, shallow salt sea that periodically covered Wisconsin hundreds of millions of years ago.
TIPS FOR COLLECTING
- Respect private and public property.
- Always get permission when collecting on private land.
- Follow current government regulations when collecting on public land.
- Before collecting make sure you find out any restrictions for the type of collecting that you can do ( surface only, hand equipment, etc. ) and any limitations of quantities.
- Leave the area in the same or better condition than you found it in when you arrived.